Stock Ref D576
A pair of brass and mahogany wall lights, designed by Eckart Muthesius (1904-1989)
Designed in 1930 for the Maharaja of Indore for his palace Manik Bagh
Licensed re-edition Germany, second half of the 20th century
50 cm deep by 32.5cm wide by 10 cm high
Biography of Eckart Muthesius (1904-1989)
After studying at the "Vereinigte Staatsschule fur Angewandte Kunst" in Berlin and the "Polytechnicum" in London, Eckart Muthesius started working for the architectural firm James & Yerbury before joining Sir Raymond Unwiin. He worked also with his father, Hermann Muthesius, founder of the "Deutscher Werkbund".
In 1929 Eckart met Prince Yeshwant Rao Holkar Bahadur in Oxford, who later became Maharajah of Indore. The Maharajah asked him to design his palace "Manik Bagh", which means "Jewel Gardens". Within four years this palace became a masterpiece of art.
Most of the palace furniture and lamps were designed by Eckart Muthesius, in addition he integrated furniture by Eileen Gray, Le Corbusier, Ruhlmann, Louis Sognot, Charlotte Perriand and carpets by Ivan da Silva Bruhns.
E. Muthesius became the official consulting architect for the Board of Planning and Restoration for the State of Indore from 1939-1936.
When the Second World War started he had to leave India and returned to Berlin to work as an architect.
Today the "Manik Bagh" palace is used as the head quarter for the Ministry of Finance. The interior was auctioned off by Sotheby, Parke, Barnet at Sporting Hiver, in Monte Carlo in 1980. In 1997, the 50th anniversary of Indian independence, the Werkbundarchiv / Martin-Gropius-Bau Berlin organised a major retrospective of the work of the architect and photographer Eckart Muthesius.